Charlottetown, May 18, 2018 - Qualified French-speaking early childhood educators are essential for early learning and child care centres to provide children with an environment where they will grow and thrive in French.
“We are currently experiencing a severe human resource shortage in our Francophone early learning and child care centres,“ shared Kathleen Couture, Executive Director of the Association des centre de la petite enfance francophones de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard (ACPEFÎPÉ). “We are at capacity for the number of available certified educators even though there would be physical space to accommodate more children, and the waiting lists are getting longer every day.”
There are eight (8) bursaries available now for individuals ready to commit to taking the two-year Early Childhood Care and Education Program at Collège de l’Île, starting in September 2018. To receive the bursary, candidates must be admitted into that program and must commit to work for a minimum of two (2) years in one of the six (6) Francophone early learning and child care centres located in Prince Edward Island upon graduation.
“This bursary program will help train future educators and guarantee their participation in the workforce once they complete their postsecondary program,” added Workforce and Advanced Learning Minister, Sonny Gallant. “We are looking for dedicated individuals looking to share their talents and contribute to growing the next generation of Islanders.”
- The bursary program is funded by Skills PEI and administered by the ACPEFIPE.
- Interested individuals must apply and be admitted to the Early Childhood Care and Education Program, at Collège de l’Île, and must provide proof of admission when applying for the bursary.
- To receive the bursary, potential students must sign two-year contract requiring them to work for a minimum of two years in one of the six Francophone early learning and child care centres located in Prince Edward Island after receiving their college diploma.
- There are eight (8) bursaries available for September 2018.
- The bursary includes tuition fees, travel expenses, childcare expenses and a living allowance.
For additional information:
Association des centres de la petite enfance francophones de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard
902-888-1681, extension 250